Enquire within if you are interested in these aspects of
marine habitat research:
1. Habitat mapping and distribution modelling
2. Marine ecosystem functions and services
3. Keystone fauna in seagrass and coral reefs
4. Cross-habitat connectivity in marine ecosystems
5. Ecophysiology, including stress effects on marine habitats
6. Ecosystem rehabilitation
7. Marine protected areas
8. Environmental policy and management in marine environments
(1) Seagrass Meadow Birth and Dynamics
We are looking to recruit a Master’s/PhD candidate to work on seagrass meadow development and dynamics in a pristine island on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The work will focus on characterizing the phases of meadow development, tracking the growth dynamics and patterns of different species, their phenology and reproduction, and in setting up trials for seagrass transplantation. The findings of this study will help us understand how young seagrass meadows begin and evolve in the subtidal zone.
The candidate will work in a full-time research position for 24 – 36 months with Dr Jillian Ooi Lean Sim and collaborators at the University of Malaya.
The candidate should:
1. Be a Malaysian national;
2. Possess a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.5 and above in either Geography, Ecology, Marine Science, or related disciplines;
3. Possess at least an Open Water SCUBA diving license but if not, he/she should be willing to undergo training in SCUBA diving, as well as additional in-house training to a level expected of scientific divers in Team Sea Habitats;
4. Be willing to work for extended periods (months) on a remote island. Lodging, food, and full SCUBA-diving facilities will be provided;
5. Be comfortable conversing and writing at publication-level in English;
6. Conduct outreach and education programs as a marine naturalist while in the field, apart from doing scientific research. Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter explaining their previous research experience to:
Jillian Ooi (email: email@example.com)
Please use ‘Project Seagrass Meadow’ as your email header.
Deadline: Open. We are still looking.